Monday, December 17, 2012

Final Exam 2012: The Year's Disappointments

Later this week, we'll take a look at the year's best albums, but let's focus on the year's disappointments first.  Here are five of mine:

1.  Band of Horses' Mirage Rock.  I saw Band of Horses open up a show for Iron and Wine in the summer of 2005.  This was before BOH even had a record out.  Despite the horribly talkative crowd, I enjoyed both sets.  Since then, I've thoroughly enjoyed BOH's first two records, but Mirage Rock is the point where I must think of this band as a thing of the past.

2. Titus Andronicus' Local Business.  Debut album The Airing of Grievances is a fine record, and the concept behind The Monitor is quite ambitious.  Local Business, however, feels incomplete.  At times, it seems very nonsensical, and throughout the majority of the songs, it feels like a band just going through the motions.

3.  The Mountain Goats' Transcendental Youth.  Every time that I hear about a new Mountain Goats album, I hope that I'm going to hear John Darnielle frantically strumming and singing into his boombox.  Sadly, those days are long gone.  While Darnielle is a great lyricist, I can't get into this most recent effort (or the last few, for that matter).

4.  Jack White's Blunderbuss.  Jack White's solo debut is not a bad album, but my expectations were very high.  I was looking forward to a barnburner of a record with guitar heroics galore, but Blunderbuss is laid-back and far too mellow.  It's good but nowhere near great.

5.  Dave Mustaine.  Some of the things that this guy says make me think twice about listening to (classic) Megadeth.  Just google "Dave Mustaine crazy" or "Dave Mustaine quotes" if you don't know what I'm talking about and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment